Here's an interesting video by Engineered Truth on affiliate marketing tips. He interviews Priest Willis, an Affiliate Marketing Manager with Lenovo.
Not a huge fan of the editing in this video as it seems to be a mismatch, but the content is good.
Affiliate Marketing Tips Interview Notes
Here's what I came away with. A lot of these are good reminders and I filled in the blanks with what I inferred from their conversation as well.
- Find relevant industry info. You actually want to provide accurate information.
- Use blogs, videos, or whatever you need to get started.
- Find a niche you enjoy. It's going to be a lot of work so it might as well be something you can stomach.
- The deeper the niche, the better.
- Start with that one core thing you like and you can build from there.
- Now that you have the information, see if you actually want to do this.
- Play with different marketing tactics. Not all tactics work work for your niche.
- PPC, SEO, or social media. Pick one to start and build from there.
- A/B test everything.
- If something didn't work, how did you know? Why didn't it work?
- Be willing to test and don't give up.
- Find or develop a longterm strategy.
- It takes about 6 months to learn everything. This isn't something you can whip up in a weekend.
- Tactics may not be universal. It's unfortunate, but you won't know until you try them.
- Don't forget to network.
- The website itself isn't the end goal. You need to get out there.
- Affiliate marketing is about relationships.
- Relationships give leverage.
- Stay focused and don't chase every shiny object.
- It's good to test tactics, but don't go too crazy. See one thing through.
- Don't get caught by shiny objects.
Take a look at Flippa.
Priest has his own consulting website at insidethemarketplace.com (formerly affiliatemission.com).
What did you pick up that you really liked? Place it in the comments below.